Generation Kill

So my pops bought me the season dvd of Generation Kill. Generation Kill is about the first 40 days of the invasion of Iraq with the Marine Corps' 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, the tip of the American spear. I'd say it's amazing because it ain't some watered down movie about some young stud of a platoon commander saving the fckin day. This movie shows that these sons a bitches are human. It shows those that stay frosty, those that need to get their shit together, and those that just ain't with it. Although it's a movie about war, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be dramatic. The film captures mostly all aspects of these Marines at war. In an interview with some of the Marines of 1st Recon, former Sgt. Rudy Reyes mentions that with all the jokes, and all the love of Marine to another, they could get through anything.The credits for the last episode features a speech about the nature of us Marines, and how a good number of the American society doesn't give a shit about us.

Fortunately, I pulled up the speech from youtube.

"10 November 1775
. I was born in a bomb crater. My mother was an M-16 and my father was the devil. Each moment I live is an additional threat upon your life. I eat concertina, piss napalm, and I can shoot a round in a flea’s ass at 300 meters. I travel the globe, festering on anti Americans, everywhere I go, for the love of mom, Chevrolet, baseball, and apple pie. I’m a grunt. I’m a dirty, nasty, stinky, sweaty, filthy, beautiful little son of a bitch that’s kept the wolf away from the door for over 225 years. I’m a United States Marine. We look like soldiers, talk like sailors, slap the shit out of both of them. We stole the eagle from the air force, the rope from the army, and the anchor from the navy. And on the 7th day, when God rested, we overran his perimeter and we’ve been running the show ever since. Warrior by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, Marine by God. Semper Fidelis."

"Selfless sacrifice of day to day military personnel, especially combat veterans, is underappreciated and you got the American society wanna run as fast as they can to the counter stop, to the fuckin newsstands and grab the motherfuckin Us Weeklys and fuckin People Magazine just to see what fuckin Jake Gyllenhal did on Thursday afternoon; you know what I did on Thursday afternoon? I put one of my motherfuckin Marines on a plane. I put that mother fucker on a bird to fuckin nowhere. I picked his lifeless ass up body, put him on a stretcher, and put him off. Why don’t they put that? Why don’t that be in any motherfuckin magazine? Or how about let’s put a day in the life of fuckin any average Marine out here, going through the streets of Ramadi. They’re biggest concern is that, you know, they couldn’t buy a mocha latte at fuckin Starbucks because it was under construction. Our biggest motherfuckin concern is getting blown up on fuckin Two Niner Five and Michigan. But we’re gonna go home and say, waving their little flag, and say, “welcome home thanks for, thanks for preserving our right to go on not giving a fuck."

"There it is folks. We’re sittin here fighting for your freedoms. You got the right to say what you want. We got the right to punch you in the fuckin mouth if we disagree."


No comments:

Post a Comment